How can I use competency models/capability frameworks?
There are so many places you can use competency models within the organization and throughout the employee lifecycle.
- Job descriptions
- Recruiting/interviewing - ensure you’re recruiting the right skills
- Onboarding (for setting expectations & communicating culture) - help each person on day one in a role know exactly what is expected of them, how they compare, and what they should begin focusing on; the behaviors in the model can communicate corporate culture, especially for those new to the company or business unit, highlighting what’s important
- In-role development – closing skill gaps and developing toward both proficiency and mastery
- Career planning - helping people prepare for the job they want next
- Opportunities for development and growth is both one of the top 3 reasons people take a job, and it’s the also in the top 3 reasons why people leave… when they don’t exist.
- Mentoring (creating task-based mentors) - build bench strength more quickly
- Coaching - ensure that managers can coach without guesswork
- Learning opportunity development – identify what you need that you don’t have
- Strategic workforce planning – Compare the skills people have today with what you need tomorrow, and upskill or hire to close the gaps
- Real needs assessment - develop the optimal L&D action plan
Want even more? Click here for all the detail in a white paper.